The famous railway line connects – four times a day – the cities of Digne les Bains and Nice from the Haute Provence Alps, through the hinterland of Nice, to the French Riviera. From the land of fine lavender to the land of chestnut trees, the Train des Pignes has remained, throughout the century, a strong element in the collective memory of Provence. Old-fashioned charm making way for modernity, the new large-windowed trains allow visitors to take full advantage of landscapes with an endless parade of rivers, mountains and gorges.
The proud red and orange railcar joyfully whistles as it arrives at the little red bricks stations.
The regular line runs all year round. For the nostalgic or vintage lovers, the legendary steam train returns to service every year from May to October on a portion of the line between Puget-Théniers and Annot. You will be surprised by the thick smoke preceding the arrival of the locomotive with sealed wooden benches and yesteryear flavours!
At an average speed of 60 km/h, the train connects Digne les Bains with Nice in 3 hours and 20 minutes.
A few suggestions of interesting train stops from Digne les Bains :
- Unusual : Stop at Golf des Lavandes in the heart of the golf course to work on your swing!
- Historic and fragrant : Stop in Barrême, a small village just a few kilometres away from Digne les Bains, famous for its history related to fine lavender. Visit the Lavender Distillery Museum. For the record, the Barremian stage – an age in the geological timescale – was named after Barrême, its original type locality. At the town hall, visit a part of Mr Maurel’s fossils collection.
- Aerial : Stop in Saint André les Alpes to go paragliding and overlook the beautiful lake of Castillon.
- Different and sporty : Stop in Annot for a stroll in the sandstone where erosion has shaped a mysterious landscape outlined by hiking trails.
- Cultural : Stop in Entrevaux, a medieval city surrounded by ramparts and dominated by a Vauban citadel which is well worth spending time to explore!
Schedules and fares :
- The Train des Pignes regular line runs 4 round trips a day between Nice (Alpes-Maritimes) and Digne-les-Bains (Alpes-de-Haute-Provence).
Departures from Digne les Bains to Nice: 7.15 am / 10.45 am / 2.25 pm / 5.35 pm
Departure from Nice to Digne les Bains: 6.55 am / 9.25 am / 1.05 pm / 5.15 pm
Rate: 23.30€ one-way ticket for Digne les Bains-Nice (the price is only given here as an indication)
Chemins de Fer de Provence railway station
Digne les Bains +33 (0)4 92 31 01 58
- Steam train : Between Puget-Théniers and Annot, a steam locomotive from the 1920s – classified historic monument. On Friday and/or Sunday from May to October. Reservation required. Ticketing at Digne les Bains Tourist Office.
Rate: 20.00€ round-trip ticket (the price is only given here as an indication)
GECP +33 (0)7 81 92 67 75