Village de Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban
Located on the right bank of the Durance, it is the 5th city of the department with 5500 inhabitants. The two villages, Château-Arnoux to the east and Saint-Auban to the west, form a single commune.
Castrum Arnulphi was probably the name of the builder of the first fortified castle located on the hill of Saint-Jean. Its inhabitants are called Jarlandin(e)s, after the name of the Jar makers.
The Saint-Jean Chapel, superb view
The Saint-Jean Chapel (1667-1668) at an altitude of 665 meters is accessible from the tourist office by a marked path (1h30 loop). Furniture and contemporary stained-glass windows made by the world-famous artist Bernar Venet. The chapel is open on Wednesdays in July and August from 16 p.m. to 19 p.m.
Every Sunday morning, a large Provençal market takes place in Saint-Auban on Place Pechiney. Thursday afternoon from 15 p.m. to 19 p.m., small organic market on the Place de la Résistance in Château-Arnoux.
The Castle Park
The prestigious castle was raised by Pierre de Glandevès between 1510 and 1530. It now houses the premises of the Town Hall. The spiral staircase, classified as a historical monument, is decorated with remarkable mythological figures (free visit on request at the reception of the town hall). The park of the Castle is classified since 1951 with the "sites and natural monuments", certain oaks being as old as the castle. A botanical discovery trail allows visitors to visit the park (free booklet at the tourist office).
- Historical patrimony
- City Village
- Mountain bikers