St Jean Belvedere n°17

6329432-diaporama ©

Description

Departure in Château-Arnoux Saint-AubanThe St Jean Chapel.
The Saint-Jean belvedere is an ideal walk that offers a beautiful viewpoint on the Durance > Valley.
Leaving the Renaissance castle, cross the old village of Château-Arnoux, till the Blachon Graveyard. There, the circuit takes a forest track before joining an asphalt road.

The St Jean Chapel was built in 1668 by four brothers from the Ricard family. Since it’s creation it has become an important place of pilgrimage. Legend holds that in 1753, a seven year-old child was cured here of a fatal disease on Saint Jean the Baptist’s saints day. Bernar Venet, a world-renowned sculptor, who was born locally, created the furniture out of steel sheets specifically for the chapel: altar, pews, cross, windows … During the summer the chapel is open to the public on Wednesdays, between 4 o’clock and 7 o’clock in the evening.

Profile

  • Height gain/loss: 200 m
  • Marked
  • Height gain: 200 m
  • Distance: 4 km
  • Length in hours: 1h30

Languages Spoken

  • French

Labels & accessibility

  • Circuits de France
  • Open air

Location

Get Directions

Comfort / services

Activities on site

  • Pedestrian sports
  • Hiking itinerary

Prices

Free access.

Opening times

All year round.