Village of Peyruis
Peyruis is called Peiruís in Provençal. Its name would come from Petronius ruit, Roman consul fallen in an ambush. The origin of the village dates back to the XNUMXnd century.
Commune of 2593 inhabitants, Peyruis is located at the foot of densely wooded hills. The village is dominated by the remains of its feudal castle dismantled during the Revolution, a veritable fortress to which the imposing remains of the enclosure still bear witness. The castle remains leveled foundations, a semicircular vault and walls of separation which seem to date from the 16th or 17th century. The old massive and voluminous keep remains almost entirely, transformed into a dovecote.
Saint Nicolas Church
The parish church of Saint-Nicolas has elements of Gothic style (1720th century), stained glass windows (1721th-XNUMXth centuries) and a set of mural paintings that are very representative of the last century. There are also testimonies of old houses from the XNUMXth-XNUMXth centuries. At the exit of the village, near the cemetery, is also the Saint-Roch chapel (XNUMX-XNUMX). It is restored and it hosts exhibitions throughout the year.
Land of Fountains
Throughout the village, old fountains pour spring water in large waves. They are scattered in the alleys and with the exception of that of the Schools they all have a washhouse. These are places of conviviality in Provence. Stop at Place de la République to watch a few bowling games under the lush plane trees. Also take advantage of their shade to read the poems of Henri Bérard (1869-1953), storyteller and local poet.
- Special Information: Hikers
- Special information: mountain bikers
Comfort / services
- Public toilets