The Gassendi Museum presents encyclopedic collections in the field of art, local history and physical and natural sciences.
Opened in 1906, the Gassendi museum presents itself as a permanent and evolving exhibition space. It is part of the Ambulo museum center in Digne-les-Bains. The visitor discovers the dialogue set up between the collections of natural sciences, ancient art and contemporary art through a route imagined like a mountain path – the significant difference in height of the building is lightened by an elevator and a suite of 'stairs.
The visit to the museum continues outside with the Mountain Art Collection which can be discovered while walking. The visitor becomes a hiker, immersing himself in the wild landscapes of the UNESCO Geopark to encounter works created in nature and in abandoned villages, by contemporary artists such as Andy Goldsworthy, Herman de Vries, Mark Dion, Paul-Armand Gette, Trevor Gould, Stéphane Bérard, etc... These “works-places” offer a real experience, for a stopover or a night (on reservation www.refugedart.fr) .
COVID 19 special provisions
We are attentive to health developments and compliance with the health rules in force. We are committed to an approach that respects the recommendations made by the various competent authorities. Do not hesitate to contact us to know them.
Labels & accessibility
- Sustainable development label
- Point of interest Route napoleon
- Haute Provence members
- Adapted services for hearing loss
- Adapted benefits for mental impairment
- Wheelchair accessible with assistance
- Accessible for self-propelled wheelchairs
- Reserved space 330 cm wide <20 m from the site
- Smooth rolling and barrier-free ground
- No slope> 5%
- No jumps> 2 cm
- Minimum passage width of 90 cm
- Interior doors with easy openings
- Lift (80 x 130 cm) and door> = 77 cm
- Height without table> = 70 cm width> = 77 cm
- Lack of steps
- WC + grab bar + circulation space
- Site, building partially accessible
- Possibility to drop someone off in front of the site
- Presence of pictograms and / or simplified visuals
Audio guide languages:
- Unguided individual tours permanently
- Guided individual tours on request
- Unguided group visits on request
- Guided group tours on request
Comfort / services
- Tourist Documentation
- Parking nearby
- Guided tours
- Educational visits
Activities on site
- Temporary exhibitions
Adult: 6 €
Job seeker: €4.
Free for children under 12 and students.
Group rate from 10 people.
Free on the 1st Sunday of each month and for national events (museum night...).
Museum passport price: €4.
Free for students.
- Bank / credit card
- Culture pass
From 15/05 to 30/09 from 10 a.m. to 18 p.m.
Closed on Tuesdays.
Exceptional closures on Ascension Thursday and Whit Monday.
From 01 / 10 to 14 / 05
Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 13:30 p.m. to 17:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday from 13:30 p.m. to 17:30 p.m.
Closed on Tuesdays.
Exceptional closures on January 1, Easter Monday, Ascension Thursday, May 1, May 8, November 1, November 11 and December 25.
- On demand