The famous line of the Chemins de fer de Provence connects four times a day the cities of Digne les Bains and Nice starting from the Alpes-de-Haute Provence then crossing the hinterland of Nice before joining the Côte d'Azur. From the land of fine lavender to that of chestnut trees, the Train des Pignes has been a strong element of Provençal collective memory for a century. Old-fashioned charm giving way to modernity, the new train sets with large windows allow visitors to take full advantage of the scenery: an uninterrupted parade of waterways, mountains and gorges.
The proud red and orange railcar, recently dressed in a new blue dress, announces itself by whistling joyfully in our little red brick stations.
The regular line operates all year round. For nostalgic or vintage lovers, the mythical steam train resumes service every year between May and November/December on a section of line between Puget-Théniers and Le Fugeret. A thick smoke then precedes the arrival of the locomotive with varnished wooden benches and the smells of yesteryear!
At an average speed of 60 km/h, the regular train connects Digne-les-Bains to Nice in 3 hours 20 minutes.
A few stops from Digne les Bains…
- Air: Stop at Saint André les Alpes to gain height in a paraglider and overlook the magnificent Castillon lake,
- Exotic and sporty: Stop at Annot for a walk in the sandstone where erosion has shaped a mysterious landscape dotted with hiking trails.
- Cultural : Stop at Entrevaux, a medieval city, surrounded by ramparts and overlooked by a Vauban citadel which is well worth a visit!
Schedules and rates
The regular Pignes train line makes 4 round trips per day between Digne-les-Bains and Nice (Alpes-Maritimes).
- Departures from Digne-les-Bains for Nice: 7:15 a.m. / 10:45 a.m. / 14:25 p.m. / 17:35 p.m.
- Departure from Nice for Digne-les-Bains: 6:55 a.m. / 9:25 a.m. / 13:05 p.m. / 17:15 p.m.
Due to major renovations, the portion of the journey between Digne-les-Bains and Saint-André-les-Alpes is carried out by coach until further notice.
Price: €24,80 for a one-way Digne les Bains-Nice ticket (given as an indication).
Between Puget-théniers et note, the 1920s steam locomotive is listed as a historical monument. Each year, when the summer season returns, the train is put into circulation on certain days of the week and weekends. Reservation is strongly recommended. Digne-les-Bains Tourist Office provides a ticketing service, but you can find all the information on timetables and fares then buy your tickets online at steam train site.
- Puget-Théniers and Annot adult price: €23,00 for a round trip (given as an indication).
If you are passionate about trains and the railway universe, then we recommend that you approach the GECP, Ggroup ofEstudy for the Ciron ways of PProvence, the aim of which is to preserve the historic equipment of the Chemins de fer de Provence, and to safeguard and restore equipment removed from service in its original state. Another goal of the association: to increase the capacity of the steam train and to sustain its operation.
CPEG : +33 (0) 7 81 92 67 75